1695 Piner Rd Suite-A

Santa Rosa, Ca 95403


24/7 Customer Support

Mon - Fri:

8:00am- 6:00pm

The Ultimate C1D1 Guide

Class 1, Division 1

When choosing to buy an extraction lab or build your own, it is vital to know if you need a C1D1 or C1D2 room. This is an important distinction as you must comply with different codes and requirements. In some cases, you may need to utilize both classifications! This guide is the best resource to learn about C1D1 and C1D2 requirements. As the industry leader in C1D1 & C1D2 enclosures, we are here to help you determine which room suits you best!

A Class 1 Division 1 area is a space in which:

“Ignitable concentrations of flammable gases or vapors may exist under normal operating conditions; or in which ignitable concentrations of such gases or vapors may frequently exist because of repair or maintenance operations or because of leakage; or in which breakdown or faulty operation of equipment or processes might release ignitable concentrations of flammable gases or vapors, and might also cause simultaneous failure of electric equipment”

Below is a larger breakdown of the classification

Class 1, Division 2

A Class 1 Division 2 location is an area in which:
“In which volatile flammable liquids or flammable gases are handled, processed, or used, but in which the hazardous liquids, vapors, or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems, or in case of abnormal operation of equipment; or in which ignitable concentrations of gases or vapors are normally prevented by positive mechanical ventilation, and which might become hazardous through failure or abnormal operations of the ventilating equipment; or that is adjacent to a Class 1, Division 1 location, and to which ignitable concentrations of gasses or vapors might occasionally be communicated unless such communication is prevented by adequate positive-pressure ventilation from a source of clean air, and effective safeguards against ventilation failure are provided”. 

In this scenario, it is assumed that under normal condition there is not an ignitable concentration of flammable vapors, but an explosive atmosphere could be possible with equipment failure.

Reference links:

Unclassified Locations:
These are locations that are seen to have minimal or no risk of flammable vapor ignition. These locations do not need to be located in a C1D1 or C1D2 enclosure. These locations are areas in which hazardous gas concentration is below 25% of its lower flammability limit.

Equipment C1D1 requirements:
All electrical items within the room are required to have a C1D1 certification and rating. This includes all C1D1 lights, C1D1 sensors, C1D1 electrical fittings, C1D1 seals, C1D1 motors, C1D1 fans, C1D1 emergency signs. C1D1 controls. This ensures the highest level of safety in the hazardous area. When in doubt about a specific requirement, contact your local AHJ for specific information on what their requirements may be in each situation.

Is Ethanol Extraction C1D1 or C1D2?
Ethanol extraction facilities can classified in different ways based on the operating procedure and equipment. Winterization is typically performed in a C1D2 room at the very least! This is due to a small amount of Ethanol present in the process. This can change based on the amount of solvent present in the room! With any specific questions, it is better to contact your AHJ and get specific answers.

Please send us a message or give us a call 888-502-6695

With any questions or clarifications regarding your needs! We supply both C1D1 and C1D2 labs for a variety of applications including ethanol, butane, isobutane and more!

Comments are closed.